"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Red Cedar Gardens



My Fall Outdoor Pot inspired by Red Cedar


My inspiration


Cute Little Fairy Gardens at Red Cedar Nursery


Owls Abound at Red Cedar Nursery

Red Cedar Gardens is a beautiful little nursery tucked away at 7895 W 183rd St. in Stilwell, Kansas. I often forget about this gem of inspiration since it's off the beaten path.  I had lunch with a friend who reminded me of the nursery since I was looking for Fall inspiration for my front porch pot.  The blooms of summer were looking withered and overgrown and my pot needed a makeover.  I decided to venture out to Red Cedar and wasn't disappointed.  One of the owners Ricki was putting together Fall outdoor displays for a class she was teaching the next day.  I showed her a picture of my pot from my IPhone.  By the way, the IPhone takes great pictures and is super convenient.  She gave me several suggestions, and I was overwhelmed and in awe of her creativity.  I love owls and had an owl statue at home so I decided to go with the owl theme.  I only needed a few items: a kale plant, a pumpkin, milo (which are the cornstalk looking things) and a sprig of bittersweet.  Bittersweet can be very difficult to find so I was thrilled she had it in stock.

Red Cedar offers several types of classes during the year.  My friends have taken their fairy garden class and loved it.  Ricki has a knack for creating beautiful arrangements by adding statues, lanterns, and other chotchkies with items from nature .  I was inspired to look at my outdoor pots in a whole different light.  I will definitely be returning to Red Cedar for some winter inspiration.  If you live in the area it's worth the visit  www.redcedargardens.com



No comments:

Post a Comment