"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Distractions


Funny Confession Ecard: I tell myself every morning that I will only scan Pinerest while I drink my cup of coffee. It takes me 3 hours to drink it, but that's beside the point.
via Pinterest

I'm someone who gets easily distracted.  There is always some random thought or to do running through my head.   I'll also spend two hours in Target talking to friends I run into while perusing the aisles to see what's new.  I find the more time I have, the less I get done.  I often beat myself up about not completing a project or goal I set out to do on any given day.  Sometimes my expectations are unrealistic, but most of the time I've wasted half the day away with distractions.  What should realistically take one hour to complete takes four.   I also have to factor in the exorbitant amount of time it takes to finish a project when learning something new.  Did I mention I'm also an impatient person and not a fan of learning by trial and error?

I've been told I over think things too much.  I'll admit that I do, and I think (no pun intended) that it's because I can be a perfectionist. I have a burning desire for my closets to look like Martha Stewarts.  I want to find the perfect solution so I spend a lot of time researching for inspiration instead of just doing.  It's no coincidence I have a love affair with the website pinterest.  It's a gold mine of ideas and one of my favorite distractions.

Instead of continually berating myself about being easily distracted I'm going to embrace it.  Taking the time to say hello to a neighbor or talk to a friend are good distractions.  It's important to put people before things and work.  There will always be work to do, but not always certain people in my life.  Distractions can be a good thing especially if it's a quick 20 minute nap or 10 minutes of meditation to recharge.  Goodbye guilt, hello distractions!   After all, you are a part of life and will always be around so I may as well quit fighting with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment