"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Friday, August 24, 2012

New York

Central Park
John Lennon Memorial In Central Park




Sculpture of Hans Christian Anderson-Central Park



Manhattan Sky Line

Chelsea Market
The Glass Structure on top is Diane VonFurstenburg's bedroom
Heavenly Doughnuts from the Doughnut Plant
Me and Amy
My Daughters Favorite- Melissa's Cupcakes




I thought I'd share some pictures from my mother and daughter trip to New York City this summer.  I have been to New York City several times and there is always something new to explore.  They have the best bakeries in the world in my opinion.   Our friends and my daughter and I love a good cupcake!  We sampled Crumbs, Magnolia Bakery and Melissa's Cupcakes.  Crumbs and Melissa's won for best overall cupcake.    The first day we arrived we did some shopping in SoHo and had lunch at the ABC Kitchen which is located inside the ABC Carpet and Home store.  It's a very cool store, but a little out of my price range.  The kitchen had a very simple and serene atmosphere and the food was delicious.  I had to try the hamburger because Gayle King rated it one of the best burgers.  It was a very good hamburger, but I wouldn't say it was life changing.  

We rented bikes and had a guided tour of Central Park by a very nice guy from Yugoslavia.  He took us by Strawberry Fields which is an area of the park where John Lennon's memorial is located.  I had been to Central Park before, but never on a guided tour.  It was neat to learn some history about each of the areas and where films like Elf were filmed.  If you are ever in the city I recommend taking a guided tour.  

We also did a walking tour of Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market, the Meat Packing District and High Line Park.  Our guide Danielle was excellent.  Chelsea Market is the original Nabisco Company building where the Oreo cookie was invented.  It's now home to several bakeries, restaurants and shops.  The upstairs level is where some of the Food Network is filmed and other shows.  The building itself is beautiful and the owner has kept  all of the architectural features consistent with the building's authenticity.  We also walked part of the High Line. It's a park which sits on an old railroad track above the street.  It was developed by two local residents with the help of private donations and some funding from the city.  Two of its biggest contributors are Diane VonFurstenburg and Barry Diller.

Our last stop on our trip was The Doughnut Plant.  I had read that the coconut creme doughnut was amazing and it didn't disappoint.  I hope you enjoyed my little glimpse of the Big Apple.  
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment