"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to School

First Day of School

It's back to school time! I can remember the excitement and fear of embarking on a new school year. As my children enter 8th and 11th grade they too are filled with mixed emotions. They wish for a few more weeks of unstructured lazy days staying up late and sleeping until noon. The freedom to plan their own day for the most and part and not have to stick to a schedule.  In my opinion we all need those kinds of days, children and adults.  We also need to have some structure in our life.  I find I get more accomplished when I stick to a schedule, and I have a deadline. Structure helps me to focus on the task at hand.  However, the creative side of me balks at structure and doesn't like to be confined to a set time period.  I like to have the freedom to follow wherever the wind is blowing that day.  Most days it is blowing toward the website pinterest.  I realize I sound like a bit of a hippie.  My kids refer to me as an uptight hippie.

As my children set their goals for the new school year,  I too am setting goals for this Fall.  I want to improve my writing and blog.  I'm setting a set time first thing in the morning four days a week to write.  I will consider anything over that a bonus, but I will commit to that time frame at a minimum.  As a stay at home mom, I need the structure to accomplish certain tasks without getting distracted. Self discipline has never been my forte.  I just serendipitously came across an article on goal setting. The advice was to picture yourself doing what it takes to achieve your goal, and you will find yourself believing you can. Instead of viewing writing as another to do, I'm looking at it from the perspective as a commitment to myself that will help me to grow.  It's a lot like exercise.  I don't always enjoy doing it, but it's good for my overall health.  Please feel free to share any set schedules you've found helpful, unless that is you're my brother. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't you mean "you're my brother"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes brother thanks for pointing out the typo. I always seem to use your incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete