"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New Orleans



My husband and I had the best time in New Orleans.  It was our first time in the city and I had heard mixed reviews from people.  We stayed close to the French Quarter off of Canal St so everything was within walking distance.  We hit the usual tourist spots:
  •  Pat O'Briens for a hurricane (they are good, but can be dangerous)
  •  Central Grocery for a muffuletta (delicious)
  •  Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee (beignets taste like a funnel cake to me)
  •  Acme Oyster House for char broiled oysters (I was pleasantly surprised that I liked them)
  •  Mr. B's Bistro where we had our favorite meal, shrimp and grits.  If you ever go to New Orleans you have to order it.  My husband and I both concurred it was one of our top favorite meals of all time.  I don't even really like grits, but these aren't the grits I remember.
We tried most of the local delicacies such as gumbo, turtle soup and bread pudding.  We came back with tighter waistbands, but good memories.  We were both reminded of the genuine hospitality and politeness of the people in the South.  I was a born a Yankee and lived in the south for 3 years as a teenager.  At the time I didn't appreciate the yes ma' am and no sirs.  As an adult, I feel as though the rest of the U.S. could use a crash course on customer service from the South.  I didn't matter if I was in a clothing store, restaurant or public bathroom the workers were very friendly and made me feel important.   
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment