"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Must Do

I consider myself a pretty loyal person.  I don't change friends, doctors, hair stylists or dentists on a regular basis.  Someone either has to move far away or offend me repeatedly before I make a change.  To be honest I don't know if you'd call that loyalty or stupidity with a side of laziness.  For years I have been unhappy with my primary care doctor.  There have been signs along the way that made me think I should look into changing doctors.  Friends even encouraged me to make a change.  She doesn't have the greatest bedside manner and she made comments about my weight if I was up 5 pounds even though I'm in a healthy weight range.  She also dismissed any questions I had when it came to being proactive about my health.  I have gone to her for roughly 20 years, and she delivered both of my children.  We have a long history, and I guess I imagined some close bond as well.

As I grow older,  I have questions about menopause and taking supplements.  I am wanting to take more of a preventative approach rather than just treating the symptoms. This last visit I was told to save it for my next appointment.  God has given me signs all along, but this time I finally decided to not just take notice, but take action.  I'm grateful for her lack of enthusiasm to answer my question because it caused me to finally make an appointment with a new doctor.

I watched Oprah's interview with Tony Robbins on the OWN network shortly after my doctors appointment.  Tony said, "If you want to take the island you need to burn the fricking boats.  If you want to make real change you need to switch from saying I should to I must.  I'm notorious for being a I should person.  My doctor situation finally became frustrating enough for me to finally say I must.  I must make sure my health needs are being met.  I hope by sharing my experience it will help you change your should to a must.   If there is something you know you need to change get rid of the things standing in your way.  For me it was the fear of starting over with someone new, laziness and that I was being unloyal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment