"All of us are watchers of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway, but few are observers.
Everyone is looking not many are seeing." Peter Leschak

Friday, February 3, 2012

Trees


Muir Woods




My love for trees was formed as a child.  I lived in Pennsylvania up until the 7th grade and our home backed up to the woods.  If you've ever been to Pennsylvania then you know it's full of trees.  I currently live in Kansas and trees just aren't quite as abundant here.   I memorized the poem Trees by Joyce Kilmer when I was in grade school.  It is the only poem I can still recite, and I think it sums up beautifully how I feel about trees.  I have been to Muir Woods and stood among the Redwoods and witnessed the splendor of autumn foliage in the Northeast.  Trees are a great place to start witnessing the extraordinary in the ordinary.

TREES

by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

      THINK that I shall never see
      A poem lovely as a tree.
      A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
      Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
      A tree that looks at God all day,
      And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
      A tree that may in Summer wear
      A nest of robins in her hair;
      Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
      Who intimately lives with rain.
      Poems are made by fools like me,
      But only God can make a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment